US Academic Credit

US Academic Credits


GROUPS: Intercultura offers academic credit options for language courses through several study abroad programs for groups, such as those run by the University of Washington, Montana State University, UNC, Duke University (program with the Organization for Tropical Studies), Austin College, Flagler College, College de Maisonneuve, and others.

INDIVIDUALS: If you are travelling on your own, many universities from a variety of countries will grant direct credit provided you make plans in advance. You must first visit your Spanish Department or Study Abroad Office to request information on direct credit approval for study at Intercultura. We will send you our curriculum descriptions and any other information in accordance with your university's guidelines for program approval. This type of direct credit is the most economical option. At the end of your studies we will also provide, upon request, a detailed transcript of your work for you to take back to your host institution. 



If your university does not grant direct credit, you may also apply for Transfer Credit for an additional fee. Short-term students may take 2 weeks or more of classes at Intercultura as follows:

Students pay the Brookhaven fee directly to BrookhavenIntercultura class fees are in addition to the Brookhaven fees, and are paid directly to Intercultura. 

 TO PURSUE TRANSFER CREDITplease follow these step-by-step instructions

1.       Email and request the information for studying Spanish in Costa Rica at Intercultura.

2.       Brookhaven will then send you instructions to apply to Brookhaven. There is no cost to apply for admission and the application can be completed online. You will be provided the internet link to the Brookhaven College online  application, and upon completion will be given a Brookhaven College Student ID number.

3.       Once you have a student ID number, you will send Brookhaven the completed MAP Spanish Registration form, who will in turn send you an email requesting payment of the MAP fee.

4.       Once you have paid this fee, please email Brookhaven to advise them payment has been made. You will then receive confirmation of your enrollment in your Study Abroad courses, and can travel to Costa Rica to enjoy your study abroad experience.

5.   Brookhaven will send you an email with detailed instructions for the end of their program about one week before the end of their studies at Intercultura. Once your program is complete, Intercultura will send brookhaven a school for each student with the number of contact hours completed, dates of study and percentage scores for 1) attendance; 2) tests, quizzes, and homework and 3) participation and oral proficiency. This will be used to to grant your official credit, which will be sent to the univeristy you designate 4-6 weeks after completion of the program.  



Question: What are the advantages of getting transfer credit from an accredited U.S. university?

Answer: Colleges and universities often grant transfer credit more easily for grades received on an official transcript from an accredited U.S. university.


Question: Would there ever be a reason why my college or university would not accept transfer credits from an accredited U.S. university?

Answer: The requirements for receiving transfer credit vary amongst colleges and universities. Often, transfer credit that cannot be granted to fulfill major or minor requirements can be granted to fulfill elective and total number of hour requirements. Students should consult their academic advisor for assistance BEFORE signing up. Students should not seek transfer credit for a class that they have already taken or that is similar in content. For example, if you have taken a Beginning Spanish I course at your college or university, you probably cannot receive transfer credit for Elementary Spanish I.


Question: How soon will my university or college receive my grades?

Answer: An official transcript is sent to the college or university office that is designated by the student 4-6 weeks after the close of the academic session.  


Question: For what courses am I able to receive transfer credit?

Answer: You may receive credit for the following courses: 

o    UDLS 111 F1 Elementary Spanish I

o    UDLS 112 F1 Elementary Spanish II

o    UDLS 211 F1 Intermediate Spanish I

o    UDLS 212 F1 Intermediate Spanish II

o    UDLS 359 F1 Spanish for Business Transactions

o    UDLS 359 F2 Survey of Latin American Lit

o    UDLS 359 F3 Survey of Spanish Literature 


MAP for Study Abroad, Office of Special Programs, Brookhaven College

Email:  / Web:

DOWNLOAD:  Multinational Academic Program Description   / MAP Registration Form