Adult Spanish Immersion Program
STUDENT REVIEW: "I have been to Intercultura 10 times in the past 12 years. That speaks for itself. Students have different learning styles. I am impressed, as an adult educator, that Intercultura addresses these different styles." Veron Smith, 72, Louisiana, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Our Spanish classes are dynamic, fun and involve a wide variety of authentic learning activities appropriate for all learning styles, cultures and ages.
- Our program covers the six different levels established by the European Frame of Reference for Language Learning. Students usually stay at each level (or unit) for about two to three weeks, for a total of 12-16 weeks needed to go from complete beginner to high-advanced proficiency.
- Students learn to speak in meaningful, real-life situations that teach them to communicate appropriately in a social and linguistic context.
- Our syllabus and framework for class sessions are tailored to the needs of students in an immersion program, and are designed to integrate cultural activities into the learning process. Ecological trips, community interviews and other activities help students practice Spanish "en vivo" with local Costa Ricans.
|SPANISH CLASS OPTIONS||HOURS/WEEK||DESCRIPTION|
STANDARD GROUP - max. of 6 students per classroom
|INTENSIVE GROUP + PRIVATE||25 / 30|
|PRIVATE / SEMI-PRIVATE*
Single day lessons possible!
|1 - 12||
|YEAR-ROUND CLASS SCHEDULE||
Classes start every Monday, except for Christmas and Easter, or if Monday is a National Holiday, in which case classes will start on the Tuesday.
include course fee, textbooks, and materials. We do not charge a separate registration fee.
|On your first day of classes, on Monday mornings, you will be given a brief oral exam to determine your Spanish level. The placement interviews take place between 7:30 and 8:15 am at our Heredia Campus and between 7:00 and 7:45 am at our Beach Campus in Playa Sámara. Placement in and advancement through the levels are based on your oral skills, not your written abilities. Once you have begun your class, you may request a re-evaluation at any time during your program if you feel the level is moving too fast or too slow.|
* Private lessons can generally be setup on a flexible timetable. However, during Intercultura´s high season (January to March and May/June to August) private lessons are generally not guaranteed or confirmed until one week before arrival. For this reason we may recommend you sign up for group classes as an option until your privates are confirmed. Please enquire for exact availability.
TEACHING METHODOLOGY & CLASS STRUCTURE
Our courses at both campuses follow the same program, with an emphasis on conversational skills and dynamic learning activities. Every Friday at our Sámara campus, in addition to regular class and a short weekly quiz, workshops are offered on political, social and cultural themes. Students attend according to preference and Spanish level.
Our Student Body Mix
Our school accepts students of all ages and nationalities, offering a unique opportunity to meet and learn with a diverse and dynamic group of people. In the summer months, college-age students and families are more common (although kids under 18 are always in separate classes), while professionals and 50-plus students tend to favour the autumn/winter and spring periods. Feel free to contact us if you wish to plan your trip dates depending on the attendance of particular age-groups or nationalities.
I am already in Costa Rica, can I sign up last-minute for a Spanish course at either campus, Heredia or Sámara?
Yes, as you have to sign up through our online reservation form, you can reserve your classes wherever and whenever. However, we recommend to enroll no later than a Wednesday if you are interested in starting Spanish group classes the next week (group classes always start on a Monday). During our very high season months (January to March, June and July) there may not be availability at our Samara Beach Campus when registering at late notice. So please inquire first with us or make the reservation at an earlier point of time. We always try our best to make everything possible.
How many Spanish units does Intercultura offer?
We offer 14 units of one week each, ranging from pre-immersion for complete beginners to high advanced (A1 to C1), following the Common European Framework of References for Languages.
How do I move on to the next level?
Students are evaluated weekly and progress through the levels as their spoken command of the language improves.
Which progress can I expect as a complete Spanish beginner?
A student in our standard Spanish group classes who begins with no previous Spanish experience can expect to reach an average of high beginner level after four to five weeks; high intermediate after eight to ten weeks; and high advanced after 12 to 15 weeks. It is also common (and recommended) to remain at any given level until oral proficiency at that standard is reached.
How does the class for advanced students look like?
Once the core program is completed, we offer additional courses at the superior level (C1/C2+), covering topics which include: Latin American & Costa Rican Literature, History and Cultural Studies; Latin American Identity, Socio-linguistics; Post-modernism in Latin American Theatre; Advanced Composition; and Spanish for the Professions (Business, Medical, Education, Media etc).